Can a beginner learn cyber security in 2023?
Is this the right time to start your career in Cyber Security? Get your complete Answer here 👇
It’s a question we hear all the time. And it’s a good one! The answer is, Yes, a beginner who doesn’t have any technical background can also earn Cybersecurity.
Cybersecurity is open to everyone who wants to learn it. All you need is an interest in technology and the willingness to put in the time needed to learn.
You might be wondering what makes this topic so important. Well, let us tell you: an estimated 1 billion people will suffer from cybercrime by 2022.
That’s a lot of people whose lives are going to be affected by this new type of crime—and it doesn’t even include the financial cost that people and businesses alike have already paid out due to hacks that have happened over the last few years.
More than ever, companies are looking for ways to protect themselves against cybercrime—and they’re turning towards employees who understand how hackers think and operate to defend themselves against potential attacks better.
So if you’re interested in learning more about cyber security as well as how you can use your skillset in this field, keep reading!
Table of Contents
What is Cyber Security?
Cyber security is the protection of computer systems from unauthorized access, damage, disruption, or exploitation. It includes a range of activities, from securing computers and networks (by installing anti-virus software or firewalls) to establishing policies to protect information.
Who Should Learn Cyber Security?
If you’re looking for a constantly growing, challenging, and changing career, you should seriously consider learning cybersecurity. The demand for cyber security experts is growing faster than any other profession.
This means more jobs will be available for those who can protect businesses from hackers and other cyber threats.
The good news is that getting started with your training doesn’t take much time or money. You can find online courses that teach everything you need to know at an affordable price, allowing you to quickly gain the skills required to start your new career path.
Why is cybersecurity the best career option for beginners?
Learning cyber security is a great way to get ahead in today’s world, espicelly if you are a beginner. But Why? You might ask. Well, let us count the ways!
First, there’s no shortage of demand for people who can protect companies from cyber criminals and hackers. This concludes that if you’re willing to invest in your education and training, you’ll be able to find plenty of opportunities to work in this growing field.
Another reason to choose cybersecurity as a career is you’ll get paid well for your expertise, where the average salary of a cybersecurity expert in India varies from 4 lac to 28 lac per year (depending on the Experience and skill set).
That’s a lot more than many other jobs out there! And it’s especially good news if you live in an area where jobs are scarce,
Because cyber security is such a hot field right now, it can help you stand out from other candidates who might not have as much experience or education when applying for these positions locally.
Finally, the best part about starting your career in cybersecurity is there are many different types of careers within the cybersecurity field.
You can choose from penetration testing (finding vulnerabilities) to malware analysis (finding malware on computers) all the way up through policy development (writing rules about how companies should protect themselves).
It doesn’t matter what background or skillset you have, there’s a place for you in the cybersecurity industry.
What do you need to know to be a cyber security expert?
If you’re interested in a career in cyber security, it’s important to understand the needed skills and knowledge. Here is what we recommend:
- A basic understanding of computer science and programming languages like Python and Java. However, it’s not mandatory, espicelly if you are not interested much in penetration testing.
- Knowledge of common operating systems, including Windows and Linux.
- Familiarity with the most common hacking tools and methods used by hackers today.
- Familiarity with concepts such as encryption, digital signatures, and how they work (and why they’re important)
- Knowledge of common types of attacks like social engineering and phishing attacks.
If you don’t know about any of the above topics, you should start by learning them. There are a lot of free resources available on Google. Or else, you can enroll in online cybersecurity training courses to help you do this.
How does a beginner learn Cybersecurity?
Learning cybersecurity is a lot like learning anything else. For example, if you wanted to learn to play the piano, you’d start with a few introductory notes and work your way up.
You wouldn’t just jump in and learn how to play Rachmaninoff’s Piano Concerto No. 3 in D Minor without first learning some scales, right?
Similarly, if you wanted to learn to speak Spanish, you wouldn’t start by translating a conversation between two people arguing about politics.
You’d start by learning some basic words and phrases and then build on them until, eventually, you could hold your own in an argument about politics in Spanish!
Learning cybersecurity is precisely the same way. It’s all about building on your knowledge and ensuring your learning will stick with you for years.
Here are the best 7 ways how a beginner can learn cybersecurity:
- Take a class at a local community college.
- Attend a lecture at your school’s library.
- Read books on cybersecurity, such as The Art of Invisibility.
- Watch videos online about cybersecurity.
- Join an online discussion group for cybersecurity professionals.
- Participate in an online course about cybersecurity.
- Get involved with an open-source project that teaches you about cybersecurity. Learn about some of the best open-source projects.
What are the skills needed to become a professional cybersecurity expert?
In cybersecurity, professionals have many opportunities to get involved in their field. Some people work in government agencies, while others work for private companies that do not have national security implications.
Regardless of where you work, there are certain skills that you will need to succeed in your career as a cybersecurity expert.
The following are some of the most important skills:
- Analytical thinking: As a cybersecurity expert, you will need to be able to analyze data and make decisions based on what you find from it. This skill is essential if you work for government agencies or companies with national security implications.
- Communication skills: A good communicator is essential when working as a cybersecurity expert because they must be able to explain their findings clearly and concisely so that their coworkers can understand them easily without confusion about what is being discussed during meetings or presentations.
- Problem-solving abilities: A strong ability to solve problems quickly by thinking outside the box when faced with challenges is essential when working as a cybersecurity expert because they will often find themselves facing unexpected issues when trying new things out for the first time (such as testing new software to see if it is secure enough to use). This requires a lot of creativity and thinking outside the box, which is why problem-solving skills are essential for this position.
- Attention to detail: Strong attention to detail is an important skill for any cybersecurity expert because they need to pay close attention to what they are doing to ensure they do not miss a single point. This is especially important in this field because even the slightest mistake could mean that a hacker gets access to sensitive information or security systems, which could lead to severe problems.
So, can a beginner learn Cybersecurity?
The answer is a big Yes. You don’t have to be an expert or have a lot of experience in order to learn the basics of cyber security.
The key is knowing where to start and how to get there. The first step is always the hardest, but once you’ve taken it and overcome that hurdle, you’ll be on your way! So what are you waiting for? Get started today. Enroll for a course and start your career in Cyber Security with Cyber Security Masters.